Isaiah 41:13 (NKJV)

For I, the LORD your God, will hold your right hand, saying to you, "Fear not, I will help you."

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

what's your story?

i had lunch with a classmate today. it was more a catching up session, and getting to know each other. and of course, me wanting to share the hope that I have in the gospel of Jesus Christ...

i wasn't sure how i was to do this. i'm not that interested in shoving the gospel down ppl's throat. the most natural way would be... my personal testimony i guess. If Christ is a part of my identity, then naturally, the fragrance of Christ would ooze out from me? I wish.

The reality is, many of us (maybe just me) struggle with bringing God into our daily conversations. Perhaps it's just not that natural? Perhaps other ppl find it revolting that Christians start and end their sentences with "Hallelujah! Praise God!"? Hehe. Not all la. Probably just minority.

I've always wondered how to sincerely share Christ. Share the love. Share the hope. Over the VCF/OCF camp we had before Easter break, Val made us look through newspapers n picking out an article to talk about how we can bring God into the picture. The truth is, GOD IS IN THE PICTURE ALREADY. It's just whether you are in tune with Him or not. It's how sensitive you are to Him.

I've changed quite a bit I guess. From that non-believer Buddhist to a baby in Christ to... (wat am I today?). Your pilgrim in this journey of progress (I hope!) together? Hehehe. I really thank God that over lunch today, it was pretty natural to just talk about Him. Because He IS a big part of my life and if I don't talk about Him, there's nothing to talk about. I shared about my journey from that hostile non-believer, to that trying-it-out-&-if-it's-not-real-I-can-get-out convert, to who I am today, having tasted that the Lord is good, having experienced Him, fully assured that I'm His precious daughter, fully and completely loved by Him.

I struggled eh. I was thinking in my head, oh oh, which verses to quote, when to quote them etc. but those are not that important. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not denying the power of the Word but really, when u're talking to someone that don't ascribe ultimate authority to the Word of God, they're not gonna be open to a whole lot of verses you're rambling about. It's your story, your testimony that's gonna make the difference, because you've went through it and you know it.

At the end of re-telling my tale... i wasn't sure if it struck a chord. I wasn't sure if I just sounded desperate or whatever... but the highest compliment came with the reply:

"I can see it from your eyes..."

This made me realise how much your eyes reveal about you. I've always admired ppl's eyes... you know, those mesmerizing blue eyes, or those deep grey ones, or those bright green ones, soft brown ones... But they're more than just a nice colour. They're the windows to your soul. You avoid ppl's eyes when you don't want them to read into you. Your eyes lit up with joy when you're genuinely happy. Your eyes tell a story. Your eyes tell your story.

1 comment:

~lil cactus~ said...

You go, girl! Press on with a reason, Press on with a purpose...