Isaiah 41:13 (NKJV)

For I, the LORD your God, will hold your right hand, saying to you, "Fear not, I will help you."

Monday, May 29, 2006

Nothing but God

Though a firm advocate of personal Bible reading and of biblical exposition in sermons, he [Tozer] always insisted that...

'it is not mere words that nourish the soul, but God Himself... The Bible is not an end in itself, but a means to bring men to an intimate and satisfying knowledge of God, that they may enter into Him, that they may delight in His presence, may taste and know the inner sweetness of the very God Himself in the core and centre of their hearts.'

Got this from a passage written on AW Tozer (Encounter wf God). He's a writer that has deeply inspired me though i've only read one of his many books. The Pursuit of God really spoke to my heart and God had it that I was reading it while in the peak of my thirst for Him. It was such that my heart would "amen" with him as i read each chapter and after every chapter, there's just so much to journal down...

That little paragraph above really struck me in the bull's eye of my heart. It speaks of my current situation. How many times we've let QTs become an end of this road called spirituality and forget that that's not the main point. We find bible readings dry and on mundane days we don't seem to get anything out of it. We do it cos we know we should be doing it. Not to say we should stop reading the bible now but what really pleases God is for us to connect with Him and that we delight in Him as He delights in us...

"They... turn away in tears to hunt some lonely place and pray, 'Oh God, show me Thy glory.' They want to touch with their hearts, to see with their inner eyes the wonder that is God...

O God, the Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, so that I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, 'Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.' Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wandered for so long. In Jesus' name. Amen."

I would really encourage you to read The Pursuit of God. May this prayer be a prayer of ours... Never stop the pursuit of God until He turns around to catch us such that there is no longer a clear distinction between His pursuit of us and our pursuit of Him...

No comments: