Isaiah 41:13 (NKJV)

For I, the LORD your God, will hold your right hand, saying to you, "Fear not, I will help you."

Sunday, June 04, 2006

'gritted-teeth faith'

"The Old Testament prophets hold out powerful, joyful promises, in which God speaks directly to the hearts of those he loves.

...

But what response is required from the hearers of this promise? God-fearing offspring don't come from nowhere. For a paralysed nation, under the yoke of oppressors, passing on a way of life that would flourish in the far-off blessed age needed raw, gritted-teeth perseverance. Such dogged faith is something Jesus often seemed to provoke from others, and the call 'do not be afraid' again has echoes of the Gospels. We might contrue it to imply, 'You'll be fine'. But what if that's not actually true? Are we brave enough to ask for the kind of Spirit-given faith that doesn't need to be 'fine' to trust in God?"

(Matt Campbell, Encounter with God, Pentecost)

"if my people, who are called by my name,
will humble themselves and pray and
seek my face
and turn from their wicked ways,
then will I hear from heaven
and will forgive their sin
and will heal their land."
-2 Chronicles 7:14


"My heart says of you, "Seek his face!"
Your
face, LORD, I will seek. "
-Psalm 27:8

2 comments:

mart said...

gotta try your coffee sometime :)

the snow's melting now.. boo hoo

*cq* said...

u din come for lifegroup!
*finger pointing*
i made coffee leh~ hehehe...