Isaiah 41:13 (NKJV)

For I, the LORD your God, will hold your right hand, saying to you, "Fear not, I will help you."

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

a brand new year

it's 2008!

it almost felt like 2008 has crept up on me quietly... i remember the times when i had really wanted to be out there in the crowds, to count down with others, to watch the fireworks, to be out there. well... there was a year i was at rum jungle's with the gang. there was another year when mum had felt sorry for me and drove me over to bkt bintang just to watch the lights and the crowd. last year... i was in taiping. or more accurately, i just got back from taiping and was counting down in a mamak back in KL.

this time, there was no plans. i was just gonna keep warm at home. or so i thought. some friends asked me to join them for dinner. i found my new favourite burger in Mos =)

i'm not keen on crowds anymore, I thought it'll be nice just spending new year eve's night on my own. but perhaps secretly in my heart, unknown to me, I really didn't want to be alone, perhaps I longed to have small company, and even more so, i wanted to be with ppl that will read the Bible with me and pray with me.

Off I headed towards Dote-machi. The bus service ended early on the last day of 2007. On normal days I wouldn't make the journey, but there was something in my heart that just made me walk on and on, with a kind of determination that surprised even myself. It was actually very nice and soothing to walk on deserted white snow-covered streets. I ran along, walked some, messed the snow with my umbrella...

The group was really small tonight. We read through Philippians. We shared and talked. They had already prayed before I got there. Initially I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing. But I'm glad I went. In the closing prayer, I felt strongly that God wants to do renovation in our hearts. As with most renovations, there'll be some walls that needs to be broken. It'll be painful, it'll be messy, but that's part of the renovation process. I felt that some of us, if not all, will be walking through some hard journey, to be broken, to be humbled just so that He can make us the persons He wants us to be.

"A broken spirit, and a contrite heart, You will not despise, You will not despise.
You desire truth, in the inward parts, a broken spirit, and a contrite heart."

It was as though He was looking for our broken and contrite hearts. Because it is only then He can truly work and renovate our hearts.

So how did I spend my new year eve counting down moments? Just outside in the snow, throwing snowballs at ppl and making my very first (and possibly last) snow angel! =) It was really special. The next new year's count down will be hot, and tropical... and I won't know when I'll get that much snow again. As I laid on the bed of white snow, watching the flakes fall on my face, I knew that I am exactly where He wants me to be.

may we all keep our eyes fixed and focused on the author and perfecter of our faith as He leads us into 2008! =)





No comments: