Isaiah 41:13 (NKJV)

For I, the LORD your God, will hold your right hand, saying to you, "Fear not, I will help you."

Friday, April 10, 2009

pouring passion into every cup

When one pays for upmarket coffee, it's not unreasonable to expect quality.

I watched the barista as he steamed the milk, prepared the cups, pulled the espresso shots (he almost forgot abt them!) and finally handed over my order. He was nice and friendly, nothing to complain about. But as I watched him, it struck me how so many of us are just doing what we're doing for the sake of doing it. I don't blame this barista, and I'm not complaining about him either. In fact, I've had many days like his.

Where's the passion? I guess not very many people out there care about how their milk is steamed and frothed, nor do they care about how you pull your shots as long as they get their order served. Well, I suppose it's not exactly the most exciting process in the world, and it's hard to keep your cool when there's a long line waiting to get their coffee... but it's not just about serving ppl their coffees is it? It's an art, is it not? One that gives you a sense of satisfaction when you know that you've done every step meticulously to produce a masterpiece in every cup.

So I don't get to pour my passion into cappuccino cups at this point of time in life. But whatever it is I find in my hands to do, wherever I find myself sent, should I not pour my heart into the cup He's given me?

I guess I need to learn how to make the best of whatever I have, wherever I am. No point walking through each day mindlessly. Each day is a gift from God. If I simply can't muster enough motivation, I should just drop everything and go make coffee.

No comments: