Isaiah 41:13 (NKJV)

For I, the LORD your God, will hold your right hand, saying to you, "Fear not, I will help you."

Sunday, December 23, 2007

some reflections...

Christmas service in church yest was in part baptism service too. I didn't try very hard to listen to Pastor Ogawa's preaching in Japanese... instead, my mind had the freedom to wander back to Jan 26 2006, when I got baptised...

I can't stop marvelling at how my baptism had been such a special event to me, very close to my heart. It's wonderful how God had worked things out for me, and that my family was there to witness this public declaration of my faith. I loved how Pastor Tony explained baptism to my non-believer family members... it was clear and straightforward. I am still thankful for how College CG went through all the trouble to make this possible for me.

It was a busy day. Perhaps my only regret, apart from not having more friends and family present, was not spending more time in reflection and prayer. I was too busy rushing ard. There is value in being still, and just waiting. Even if it doesn't seem like anything is happening, just being in the stillness with the Lord is beautiful.

Relationship. Part of pre-baptism preparation brought about reconciliation with a very dear sister. I am so thankful for the reconciliation we have in Christ, with God, with ppl we've had conflicts with. Sure, there has been hurts and anger, but what can't be forgiven after we've received such forgiveness from God, and what can't be put away after having our hearts filled with such love from Him? As the saying goes, let bygones be bygones. Choosing to love instead of holding on to grudges is such liberation from the heaviness in our hearts. It's a burden we've unwisely chosen to carry when we can choose to just let go. No matter how we think we've been wronged. Intentionally or not. I know it's not easy. Work with God on this eh?

Of course, I was also reminded of the ppl that had been such a big part of my life around the time of my baptism. It's weird on looking back that such good relationships could cease to nothingness in such a short period of time. But I guess, ppl come and ppl go. Some vanish rapidly, leaving a hole so deep it hurts, and u frantically try to fill it up with something else. Some just disappear quietly... as though they found the back door and slipped out unnoticed. You can't hold on to everyone forever. I am thankful that God has weaved our lives so closely once before... and I guess when our roles in each other's life have been fulfilled, it's time to let go and move on. It had hurt, but I've learnt to cherish the good times and to smile at the good memories. As they say, keep the good ones, discard the bad painful ones. Yea, I know, I have selective memory ;p

The year is coming to an end. I am thankful for just being able to slow down and reflect. Think. and be thankful. =)

"Remember your Creator in the days of your youth..."
-Ecclesiastes 12:1

No comments: