Isaiah 41:13 (NKJV)

For I, the LORD your God, will hold your right hand, saying to you, "Fear not, I will help you."

Monday, November 23, 2009

much needed Sabbath

Recently it struck me that I haven't had a proper Sabbath in a while. Wait a minute... what's a proper Sabbath anyway? During my student days, as long as I'm not studying - that's Sabbath. Well, kinda. Nevermind that I was doing CF stuff. It's refreshing to be away from the books and libraries so when I chose to set aside Sunday to stay away from books and assignments - that's a good enough Sabbath. How far away can God be in your thoughts when u're doing CF stuff?

Now that I've stepped into the working world... what's Sabbath? I used to work Saturdays, full day. So Sunday was really a day of rest. I was too pooped to do anything else anyway. When I don't have to work Sat anymore, I thought - great! 2 days of rest! But old habits die hard - I started to fill my schedule with many good stuff. I soon got reminded that not doing money-making activities does not equate Sabbath. And trying to keep going without proper rest for months? whoa. Who do I think I am?

Thank God that the Japanese have set aside a day as Labor Thanksgiving Day. Finally I got to sleep in til 9am, after months and months of waking up early. That 9am should be considered "sleeping in" is a warning sign that I am... erm, progressing along this journey called life (oh, don't get misled, I am still very young ;p ). It's nice to be able to chuck my to-do list aside (will worry about that tomorrow), read, sleep, read some more and doze off some more.

But as the cliche goes, time flies when u're having a good time. Sigh.

Perhaps I need to incorporate regular Sabbath/rest/slow down times into my weekly schedule. If only the world would stop spinning for a day every week.




No comments: