Isaiah 41:13 (NKJV)

For I, the LORD your God, will hold your right hand, saying to you, "Fear not, I will help you."

Sunday, June 29, 2008

some thoughts

"I believe in true love, and true love is always magical. Like lightning, it strikes you fast and hard without you realising. You might be afraid of this sudden outburst of feeling, of this sudden decision you have to make, it can hurt, or it can be pleasurable. You might try to ignore it, but please, don't; because love is a wonderful thing. Even if it hurts, isn't the feeling of being in love worth all the getting hurt in the world?"

I quote this from someone else's blog (at some risk). What with all the wedding bells ringing all around me and my friends walking down the aisle one after another, I can no longer blissfully ignore the fact that I've reached "that stage". Yes - that stage where one thinks about love, relationship and marriage.

I never thought one has to think seriously about such issues. It used to be whatever comes comes. Love, as quoted above, strikes you fast and hard like a lightning. If it happens, it happens. If Prince Charming comes, there you go. If he doesn't, well, I'm the sort that will wait.

But God has certainly embarked me on a thinking journey. One where I find myself being confronted by counter-cultural views - that's when I realised how dangerous it is to not have a reliable basis to help shape your ideologies. Such striking contrasts are almost repelling, but it's not very realistic to hold on to one own's idealized fantasies. The sinking sand teaches you to build your foundations on solid ground.

"not all the money in the world can buy that powerful feeling inside."

(quote from the same blog)

yes. it's a very powerful feeling indeed. so strong and overpowering that one finds oneself at the mercy of such intense passion.

but I'm learning, that rather than allowing myself to fall in love, I'd rather choose to love, with both my eyes wide open.

Love is worth getting hurt for. In fact, loving is opening up oneself to the vulnerability of getting hurt. But no, the feeling of being in love is definitely not worth all the getting hurt in the world. Feelings are too fleeting. i need something more stable than that. i need a reliable solid rock.

it's tempting though, to throw the baby out with the bath water.

No comments: